Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Edit (a text or film) again.‘the third scene is still too long—we'll have to re-edit it’
- ‘You will actually be able to re-edit the movie with your computer and you'll have the director explaining to you why he made the choices he made.’
- ‘What do people think of the additional footage, re-edited scenes and the new score?’
- ‘He could re-edit the film, shoot additional scenes, design his own ad campaign, and create any kind of come-on.’
- ‘It has fragments of all my films, but they're re-edited.’
- ‘Of late, for example, there has been an emphasis on re-editing texts and providing footnotes, glossaries and notes.’
- ‘The film has been craftily re-edited and re-marketed into a love story that shows the Japanese as honourable soldiers.’
- ‘Most of the scenes could be re-edited willy-nilly and still have the same effect: total boredom.’
- ‘As a consequence Stone decided to re-edit the film for the DVD release - presumably to remove some of the gay stuff.’
- ‘They said they would hire another director to re-edit the movie, to put narration on it, and do additional shooting.’
- ‘The new version has also been re-edited slightly, resulting in a running time that is about one minute shorter than the original.’
- ‘He feels that re-editing the film is like ‘going back and re-shooting your high school photo.’’
- ‘The text has been re-edited in the same font type as the original edition on high-quality paper, and the editor has gone through a lot of effort to produce a book that has the cachet of an old book.’
- ‘Irving complains that the film has been edited and re-edited so as to present him in a prejudicial light.’
- ‘When I checked the article a few days later he had not re-edited the article.’
- ‘I almost completed the film when I found out about the death of one of them; I had to re-edit the ending.’
- ‘Because the articles were published previously and were re-edited for the book, this volume is an easy read and is full of facts that will be of use to all types of health professionals.’
- ‘To begin with, the sequence of existing scenes has been significantly re-edited in places, which threw me.’
- ‘I stayed up the entire night, re-editing our film, and adding all the shots that I had of Lee.’
- ‘After shooting each scene, she re-edits everything, inspiring herself in new directions.’
- ‘Then I re-edited it and it came out in a paperback version at the end of last year.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.