One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The scattering of light by particles in a medium, without change in wavelength. It accounts, for example, for the blue color of the sky, since blue light is scattered slightly more efficiently than red.Compare with Raman effect
- ‘Based on Rayleigh scattering, the sensor can be used to monitor perimeters around secure facilities and prisons.’
- ‘This led us to shift the excitation to a lower wavelength to minimize the contribution from Rayleigh scattering in the emission spectra.’
- ‘At these wavelengths, Rayleigh scattering is also reduced, increasing visual clarity.’
- ‘The red colour in the sky at sunset is due to an effect called Rayleigh scattering.’
- ‘Additionally, there may be significant scattering by the various species present, including Rayleigh scattering by particles smaller than the wavelength of light.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.