One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a composite flower head of the daisy family) any of a number of strap-shaped and typically sterile florets that form the ray. In plants such as dandelions the flower head is composed entirely of ray florets.Compare with disk floret
- ‘Capitula include on average 17 peripheral sterile ray flowers and 43 central hermaphroditic disc flowers.’
- ‘Heads on discoid plants have an extra whorl of disc florets instead of ray florets.’
- ‘Those outer flowers are called ray flowers - for that petal - while the inner flowers are called disk flowers.’
- ‘The senescent daisies still retained a few partly shriveled ray flowers.’
- ‘The daisylike blooms are composed of short disc flowers surrounded by single or multiple rows of petal-like ray flowers.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.