Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The residue left after sugarcane has been processed to remove the molasses and refine the sugar crystals. The flavor is similar to that of brown sugar.
- ‘The degree of clarification affects sugar yield and the refining quality of raw sugar.’
- ‘He has the loose-jointed movements of an athlete, and a brisk heedlessness as he crushes raw sugar into a splash of coffee.’
- ‘The government currently applies a 20 percent import tariff on raw sugar and a 25 percent tariff on white sugar.’
- ‘‘We integrated honey into their diets instead of raw sugar,’ Day says.’
- ‘Brown sugar is a bit much, but raw sugar is pretty good.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.