One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for rave (sense 2 of the noun)
social gathering, gathering, social occasion, social event, social function, function, get-together, celebration, reunion, festivity, jamboree, reception, at-home, soirée, socialView synonyms
- ‘Weekenders trace their roots to the mods and rockers' bank holiday rave-ups on the south coast in the Sixties.’
- ‘Until now, one of the greatest rave-ups in rock 'n' roll history was also its least remembered.’
- ‘‘It's getting you back to the good old days when you used to organize rave-ups for two or three thousand lunatics in an empty warehouse somewhere? ‘laughed Syd.’’
- ‘Burn's suppers range from formal gatherings to uproariously informal rave-ups of drunkards and louts.’
- ‘This was a rave-up before they were even invented.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.