Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for rave
social gathering, gathering, social occasion, social event, social function, function, get-together, celebration, reunion, festivity, jamboree, reception, at-home, soirée, socialView synonyms
- ‘‘It's getting you back to the good old days when you used to organize rave-ups for two or three thousand lunatics in an empty warehouse somewhere? ‘laughed Syd.’’
- ‘Burn's suppers range from formal gatherings to uproariously informal rave-ups of drunkards and louts.’
- ‘Weekenders trace their roots to the mods and rockers' bank holiday rave-ups on the south coast in the Sixties.’
- ‘This was a rave-up before they were even invented.’
- ‘Until now, one of the greatest rave-ups in rock 'n' roll history was also its least remembered.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.