One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavy-bodied American pit viper with a series of horny rings on the tail that, when vibrated, produce a characteristic rattling sound as a warning.
- ‘In Florida, more people are probably bitten by pigmy rattlesnakes than by any other poisonous snake.’
- ‘Today Wyoming's Bighorn Basin, home to pronghorns and prairie dogs, coyotes and rattlesnakes, is nearly a desert.’
- ‘They're even immune to the venom of rattlesnakes and other pit vipers.’
- ‘The boa and the rattlesnake are homebodies that seldom travel more than a couple of miles in a lifetime.’
- ‘This girl could charm the tail off a rattlesnake.’
- ‘Charlie felt ill as she heard the distinctive sound of a rattlesnake.’
- ‘This is the only product that can neutralize toxins from rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and copperheads.’
- ‘And when they rattle, when they get alarmed, it sounds like a rattlesnake.’
- ‘You can find this same remarkable system in humans, albatrosses, rattlesnakes, bullfrogs, and all other land vertebrates.’
- ‘Those were some of the most dangerous kinds of reptiles, spitting cobras, rattlesnakes, Komodo dragons.’
- ‘Clark says timber rattlesnakes and other pit vipers may be the most social of all snakes.’
- ‘At a lot of these roundups, the handlers allow children to touch the tails of rattlesnakes.’
- ‘A new study of timber rattlesnakes in the eastern United States marks the first time kin recognition has been observed in snakes.’
- ‘Pit vipers, including the fer-de-lance and Mojave rattlesnake, have only two pits, one below each eye.’
- ‘Gila monsters, rattlesnakes and other reptiles will be drawn to water in gardens, especially during the dry summer months.’
- ‘In both shade cases, simulated rattlesnakes cease all nocturnal activity and become completely diurnal.’
- ‘They may be preyed upon by larger animals, such as large owls, coyotes, or large snakes, such as eastern massasauga rattlesnakes.’
- ‘Holding on to hurt is like grabbing a rattlesnake by the tail; you are going to be bitten.’
- ‘Eagles, rattlesnakes, deer, pronghorn antelope, foxes, coyotes, and mountain lions roam the area.’
- ‘Most rattlesnakes are peaceable, retiring animals that flee for the underbrush when they encounter humans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.