Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A heavy-bodied American pit viper with a series of horny rings on the tail that, when vibrated, produce a characteristic rattling sound as a warning.
- ‘You can find this same remarkable system in humans, albatrosses, rattlesnakes, bullfrogs, and all other land vertebrates.’
- ‘In Florida, more people are probably bitten by pigmy rattlesnakes than by any other poisonous snake.’
- ‘Most rattlesnakes are peaceable, retiring animals that flee for the underbrush when they encounter humans.’
- ‘And when they rattle, when they get alarmed, it sounds like a rattlesnake.’
- ‘They may be preyed upon by larger animals, such as large owls, coyotes, or large snakes, such as eastern massasauga rattlesnakes.’
- ‘Those were some of the most dangerous kinds of reptiles, spitting cobras, rattlesnakes, Komodo dragons.’
- ‘Eagles, rattlesnakes, deer, pronghorn antelope, foxes, coyotes, and mountain lions roam the area.’
- ‘At a lot of these roundups, the handlers allow children to touch the tails of rattlesnakes.’
- ‘Clark says timber rattlesnakes and other pit vipers may be the most social of all snakes.’
- ‘This girl could charm the tail off a rattlesnake.’
- ‘Gila monsters, rattlesnakes and other reptiles will be drawn to water in gardens, especially during the dry summer months.’
- ‘The boa and the rattlesnake are homebodies that seldom travel more than a couple of miles in a lifetime.’
- ‘This is the only product that can neutralize toxins from rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and copperheads.’
- ‘They're even immune to the venom of rattlesnakes and other pit vipers.’
- ‘Charlie felt ill as she heard the distinctive sound of a rattlesnake.’
- ‘Today Wyoming's Bighorn Basin, home to pronghorns and prairie dogs, coyotes and rattlesnakes, is nearly a desert.’
- ‘In both shade cases, simulated rattlesnakes cease all nocturnal activity and become completely diurnal.’
- ‘Pit vipers, including the fer-de-lance and Mojave rattlesnake, have only two pits, one below each eye.’
- ‘A new study of timber rattlesnakes in the eastern United States marks the first time kin recognition has been observed in snakes.’
- ‘Holding on to hurt is like grabbing a rattlesnake by the tail; you are going to be bitten.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.