One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog or other animal that is used for hunting rats.
- ‘But young Pickles turned out to be an excellent ratter and was a favourite amongst our neighbours.’
- ‘Long-tailed weasels are good mousers and ratters, so farmers do not mind having weasels around their farms because they eliminate these pests.’
- ‘You should keep in mind the Carin was bred to be a ratter.’
- ‘Its original purpose was as a ratter, working very hard to to remove rodents from places such as kitchens and stables.’
- ‘But when given a chance the Airedale can still be an expert ratter and can also be trained to the gun.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.