One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The quantitative relation between two amounts showing the number of times one value contains or is contained within the other.‘the ratio of men's jobs to women's is 8 to 1’
proportion, comparative extent, comparative number, quantitative relation, correlation, relationship, correspondence, balanceView synonyms
- ‘The banks' non-performing loan ratio reached a record high of 8.09 percent in April 2002.’
- ‘We next estimated the likelihood of the data under a unique ratio among all lineages.’
- ‘We therefore estimated standardised hazard ratios.’
- ‘In contrast, the Argentine central bank's reserve ratio ranged between 193 percent and 82 percent in 2001.’
- ‘In addition, nitrogen metabolism increases the molar ratio of amino nitrogen released to filial tissues.’
- ‘Higher male mortality leads to decreasing male-female sex ratios as the population segment gets older.’
- ‘The control cross (uninfected male x uninfected female) yielded normal family sizes and female-biased sex ratios.’
- ‘We have reported all standardised mortality ratios as ratios rather than percentages.’
- ‘We estimated hazard ratios by using Cox regression with age as the time metric.’
- ‘The simplest model assumes the same ratio for all branches in a phylogeny.’
- ‘The ratio varied in the range of 0 to 5.’
- ‘At MIT you learn about things like bandwidth, power, and signal-to-noise ratios.’
- ‘Twenty repeated scans were averaged to improve the signal-to-noise ratio in each recorded image.’
- ‘It is easier to see what is happening if we plot the ratios on a graph.’
- ‘Measuring the isotopic ratios on Mars will provide clues about possible biological activity.’
- ‘The bank's capital adequacy ratio remained at 11.72 per cent.’
- ‘Aspect ratio is the ratio between the width of the tire and the height of its side wall.’
- ‘The total chlorophyll/carotenoid molar ratio greatly decreased.’
- ‘Adjusted odds ratios were calculated by logistic regression, whereas adjusted risk ratios were calculated by generalized linear modeling.’
- ‘A ratio higher than 1 in a product group is connected with a comparative advantage.’
- ‘Multivariate logistic regression analysis was used to calculate the adjusted odds ratio of failure rates.’
- 1.1 The relative value of silver and gold in a bimetallic system of currency.
Mid 17th century: from Latin, literally ‘reckoning’, from rat- ‘reckoned’, from the verb reri.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.