One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vegetable dish consisting of onions, zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers, fried and stewed in oil and sometimes served cold.
- ‘They come with your choice of baked potatoes, ratatouille or daily vegetables, and a choice of green peppercorn sauce or Caf de Paris butter.’
- ‘In the second recipe, oven-frying adds texture to the ingredients of the great French casserole, ratatouille.’
- ‘Tonight I made ratatouille and polenta, so apparently I'm a slightly poncey pirate.’
- ‘The ratatouille filling consists of neatly shaped vegetables that are lightly cooked so it doesn't degenerate into a nondescript mess like many of its kind.’
- ‘I cook dinner - a Mexican styled ratatouille with a capsicum salad and brown rice.’
- ‘Think of it is a southern Spanish ratatouille - a layer of fried potatoes, aubergine and red peppers with a garlicky tomato sauce.’
- ‘I've also seen tartines served with a side of cold ratatouille (this dish of zucchini, eggplant, tomato and pepper from Provence).’
- ‘She cooked a meal of grilled chicken and vegetable ratatouille for the evening.’
- ‘You could add slices of pickled walnuts, chopped olives and anchovies or leftover ratatouille.’
- ‘As with any ratatouille, it tasted even better the next day and the day after that, so it's an ideal make-ahead dish.’
- ‘The rump steak was succulent and was served with creamy mash, although the overcooked ratatouille let the dish down.’
- ‘Atlanta also serves a chicken sizzler and crêpes stuffed with ratatouille, all with a selection of breads.’
- ‘She was on the trail of kitchen-garden tomatoes for her ratatouille.’
- ‘Sam's will probably serve its ratatouille on grilled polenta, and Pomegranate will likely go for pasta; Soi has many non-meat entrées.’
- ‘For the main course, I ordered a vegetable skewer, which comes served with ratatouille.’
- ‘It was more like ratatouille, with tomatoes featuring quite heavily.’
- ‘Our main courses were served with ratatouille and pomme purée.’
- ‘My main course of langoustines were soft and succulent, served on a bed of confit of ratatouille and homemade pasta.’
- ‘Ratatouille pancakes - stuff pancake with ratatouille adding a little smoked German sausage if you wish.’
- ‘One of its typical dishes is a vegetable stew called ratatouille.’
A French dialect word.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.