Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vegetable dish consisting of onions, zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers, fried and stewed in oil and sometimes served cold.
- ‘It was more like ratatouille, with tomatoes featuring quite heavily.’
- ‘I've also seen tartines served with a side of cold ratatouille (this dish of zucchini, eggplant, tomato and pepper from Provence).’
- ‘Ratatouille pancakes - stuff pancake with ratatouille adding a little smoked German sausage if you wish.’
- ‘Think of it is a southern Spanish ratatouille - a layer of fried potatoes, aubergine and red peppers with a garlicky tomato sauce.’
- ‘My main course of langoustines were soft and succulent, served on a bed of confit of ratatouille and homemade pasta.’
- ‘The rump steak was succulent and was served with creamy mash, although the overcooked ratatouille let the dish down.’
- ‘Our main courses were served with ratatouille and pomme purée.’
- ‘They come with your choice of baked potatoes, ratatouille or daily vegetables, and a choice of green peppercorn sauce or Caf de Paris butter.’
- ‘For the main course, I ordered a vegetable skewer, which comes served with ratatouille.’
- ‘She was on the trail of kitchen-garden tomatoes for her ratatouille.’
- ‘She cooked a meal of grilled chicken and vegetable ratatouille for the evening.’
- ‘The ratatouille filling consists of neatly shaped vegetables that are lightly cooked so it doesn't degenerate into a nondescript mess like many of its kind.’
- ‘As with any ratatouille, it tasted even better the next day and the day after that, so it's an ideal make-ahead dish.’
- ‘I cook dinner - a Mexican styled ratatouille with a capsicum salad and brown rice.’
- ‘You could add slices of pickled walnuts, chopped olives and anchovies or leftover ratatouille.’
- ‘Tonight I made ratatouille and polenta, so apparently I'm a slightly poncey pirate.’
- ‘Sam's will probably serve its ratatouille on grilled polenta, and Pomegranate will likely go for pasta; Soi has many non-meat entrées.’
- ‘One of its typical dishes is a vegetable stew called ratatouille.’
- ‘Atlanta also serves a chicken sizzler and crêpes stuffed with ratatouille, all with a selection of breads.’
- ‘In the second recipe, oven-frying adds texture to the ingredients of the great French casserole, ratatouille.’
A French dialect word.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.