Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish of melted and seasoned cheese on toast, sometimes with other ingredients.
- ‘Make sure you try the smoked haddock rarebit with creamed leeks and smoked bacon.’
- ‘If you're preparing Welsh rarebit, for example, use a strong-tasting, mature cheese rather than a mild variety.’
- ‘Here, they are matched with a smoked haddock rarebit for an ultra-tasty dish.’
- ‘Unfortunately, there are thousands of recipes for rarebit.’
- ‘Meanwhile, to make the rarebit, very gently melt the cheese with the milk and stout in a heavy-based pan.’
Late 18th century: alteration of rabbit in Welsh rabbit.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.