One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for rare bird
rarity, rare person, rare thing, rare bird, wonder, marvel, nonpareil, nonesuch, one of a kind, findView synonyms
- ‘Ushenko is that rara avis in contemporary art, a big-hearted romantic satirist.’
- ‘Pull it all together and you will have a rara avis to add zest to your party.’
- ‘The author of some noteworthy ones, George Caleb Bingham, was himself a rara avis: a professional painter who was also a political candidate.’
- ‘‘It can be stated without fear of contradiction,’ Thomas Baker writes, ‘that the truly clever or amusing law review article is the quintessential rara avis.’’
- ‘By mating Western classical music with the musical traditions of his homeland - both popular and classical - Vali has been the foster-father to a beautiful hybrid, a rara avis.’
- ‘Heller is both a poet and critic, that well-plumed rara avis who flies effortlessly between poetry and criticism and adroitly links their dual legacies.’
Latin, with reference to Juvenal's Satires, vi.165.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.