Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An oil obtained from rapeseed, used as a lubricant, in alternative fuels, and in foodstuffs.
- ‘The original rapeseed oil, used as both a lubricant and an edible oil, was harmful when ingested because of high levels of a chemical called erucic acid.’
- ‘He imports sugar, salt and rapeseed oil from southern Sweden and everything else is sourced, grown or otherwise produced in the surrounding area.’
- ‘A school bus operator in South Yorkshire has cut carbon dioxide output by using a new fuel made from a blend of rapeseed oil and ordinary diesel.’
- ‘There are plans to produce and sell biodiesel, an environmentally friendly motor fuel made from rapeseed oil and vegetable fats.’
- ‘Vegetable fats and oils with a high proportion of unsaturated fatty acids (e.g. olive oil, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, corn oil or wheat germ oil) are to be preferred.’
- ‘The EU could import around 200,000 tonnes of rape oil in 2005-06, with most supplies coming from Canada.’
- ‘Linseed, rapeseed oil, walnuts, soya oil, and leafy greens are also good sources of Omega 3, although not quite as beneficial as fish.’
- ‘The large US and Brazilian ethanol programs are based on corn and sugar cane respectively, the EU's biodiesel fuels on rapeseed oil.’
- ‘Cork City Council has converted 17 of their vehicles to run on rapeseed oil, under the EU CIVITAS programme.’
- ‘European biodiesel production is currently dominated by palm, soya and rapeseed oil.’
- ‘He has an efficient arable operation and from it he is producing a branded rapeseed oil which he bottles and sells to retailers.’
rapeseed oil/ˌrāpˌsēd ˈoil/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.