Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Seeds of the rape plant, used chiefly for oil.See rape
- ‘Likely products include oil from rapeseed as a diesel substitute, ethanol from beet as an alternative to petrol and a range of crops for combustion to produce heat and electricity.’
- ‘Until the 1940's rapeseed was grown mainly for lamp fuel and as forage for animals.’
- ‘There were more entries in the card catalogue of the library on rapeseed than on rape, she writes.’
- ‘Almost 75% of plant oils are derived from four major crops; soybean, rapeseed, palm and sunflower oil.’
- ‘Foods that are rich in unsaturated fats include oily fish, avocados, nuts and sunflower, rapeseed and olive oils.’
- ‘Wexford Renewable Fuels is due to begin extracting oil from rapeseed shortly in Adamstown, Co. Wexford to produce a fuel suitable for diesel engines.’
- ‘Farmers growing rapeseed, also known as canola, could co-op a regional seed press, and offer area restaurants premium oil at local prices to avoid too may middlemen and shipping costs.’
- ‘Vegetable oil is the term for any oil that's derived from oilseed crops such as soybean, rapeseed, or cottonseed.’
- ‘For example, it was used to knock out a gene in rapeseed to make production of edible canola oil possible.’
- ‘Since the oil crisis in 1973, plant oils, mainly from rapeseed and soybean, have been investigated as an alternative, renewable source of liquid fuels.’
- ‘The exact same methods developed by growers of rapeseed can be used to control cross pollination from GM crops.’
- ‘Fuel to run cars can be made from a number of crops, including Yorkshire rapeseed.’
- ‘Researchers have found that feeding cows rapeseed generates milk with lower levels of high-cholesterol, saturated fat.’
- ‘Blue Sun Biodiesel is a limited liability company affiliated with a cooperative that proposes to produce biodiesel from rapeseed grown on the western High Plains area of Colorado and neighboring states.’
- ‘It is made from rapeseed and requires no engine or oil modification.’
- ‘Transport fuel based on renewable oilseed crops such as soybeans and rapeseed also has potential.’
- ‘The rapeseed producers' co-op offers farmers not riches, says Starkebaum, but a way to mitigate risk, and to earn some extra money above the price of the crop.’
- ‘According to Ministry of Agriculture regulations, a total of 17 products categorized as soybeans, corn, rapeseed, cotton seed and tomatoes were the first that needed to be labelled.’
- ‘The refinery will process about 100 000 tons of rapeseed a year.’
- ‘After talking with agronomists at several universities, Blue Sun decided that rapeseed was the best choice for feedstock.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.