One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Shout and complain angrily and at length.
hold forth, go on and on, deliver a tirade, rant and rave, fulminate, sound off, spout, pontificate, trumpet, bluster, declaimView synonyms
- ‘I rant and rave at the screen, decrying the dumbing down of what used to be a medium for entertaining and educating.’
- ‘People seem to think he is not passionate enough, but it's just that he doesn't rant and rave.’
- ‘‘Joe called our head offices himself and ranted and raved about it,’ says a top editor at one of the weeklies.’
- ‘Are you tired of hearing students rant and rave about how their tuition fees are too high?’
- ‘He ranted and raved, and gave the same lines again and again.’
- ‘So when I used to rant and rave about it, it was because I did not have first hand knowledge.’
- ‘I began to rant and rave angrily, in a loud voice.’
- ‘‘You can't rant and rave; you can't scream and put people in shock, though I have worked with directors who do that and it's pretty scary,’ Garry says.’
- ‘I could rant and rave about it but that wouldn't make a difference.’
- ‘Only this afternoon did I rant and rave about these designs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.