Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who owns or runs a ranch.
- ‘But consumer groups, allied with many U.S. ranchers and cattlemen, want the labeling to begin on schedule.’
- ‘The livestock industry argues that ranchers have a right to graze on any land near their water rights, even if they do not own the land.’
- ‘Farmers and ranchers can even turn to the Internet for products and services.’
- ‘Within its boundaries live over a hundred human residents, many of whom are farmers or cattle ranchers.’
- ‘This will permit breeding cattle that ranchers will know are more likely to produce consistently tender offspring.’
- ‘What worries me is the lack of concern regarding this trend among farmers and ranchers.’
- ‘Both models empower ranchers, because they complement and augment the rancher's own storehouse of knowledge and experience.’
- ‘The cattle farmers and ranchers appealed to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.’
- ‘Like you, I struggle to fathom what this will mean for farmers, ranchers, and rural America.’
- ‘Due to its low value for livestock forage, it is a concern to livestock producers and ranchers.’
- ‘The coalition, made up of area ranchers and farmers, may file an appeal of the decision.’
- ‘After all, if they do well, farmers, ranchers and consumers will do well, right?’
- ‘Private armies have flourished with the support of cattle ranchers, large-scale farmers, and investors.’
- ‘Previously, ranchers and farmers were allowed to request that portions of their agricultural lease be put up for public auction.’
- ‘As a cash crop, cattle encouraged ranchers to practise ruthless predator control, killing bears, bobcats and mountain lions.’
- ‘A growing segment of people are concerned about food quality and want to keep local ranchers and farmers in business, Antonio argues.’
- ‘Farmers and ranchers also need to be aware of recent changes in federal tax code, said Barrett.’
- ‘He says Florida cattle ranchers were aided by recent severe winters and drought.’
- ‘Some nomads were settled as farmers, ranchers, or fishermen.’
- ‘Certified-organic crop farmers, livestock producers, ranchers, and handlers all qualify.’
2North American A ranch house.
- ‘Our house is a rancher so I could talk to him without shouting down like Juliet to her Romeo.’
- ‘The little ramshackle cottage was built on a gentle incline, wedged between a two-story condo on the left and a rancher with a big front lawn on the right.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.