One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[no object]North American
be sick, spew, spew up, fetch upView synonyms
- ‘I feel like ralphing in the trash barrel outside Mr. Toad's Wild Ride instead.’
- ‘Moving on, I denied my instincts and tried not to think about what had happened until I missed my period, threw up my orange juice one morning and had to quit smoking because every time I smelled the smoke I almost ralphed.’
- ‘There's a bathroom in the back where you can ralph.’
- ‘Often I'd have to lean over the edge of the cot and ralph.’
- ‘My head was killing me, and I felt like I was going to ralph any second.’
- ‘Watching somebody ralph makes you feel sick, too?’
1960s: origin uncertain; apparently a use of the male given name Ralph, but perhaps imitative.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.