Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An abnormal rattling sound heard when examining unhealthy lungs with a stethoscope.
- ‘Examination of the lungs may initially reveal focal rales that will eventually become diffuse.’
- ‘The physical exam may be normal or the lung exam may reveal fine rales or wheezes.’
- ‘Physical examination of the lungs may reveal rales and pleural effusions.’
- ‘The physician should check the chest and lungs for signs of consolidation, wheezing, rales, and trauma.’
- ‘The chest had diffuse wheezes and occasional rales.’
Early 19th century: from French râle, from râler to rattle.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.