Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An abnormal rattling sound heard when examining unhealthy lungs with a stethoscope.
death rattleView synonyms
- ‘The physical exam may be normal or the lung exam may reveal fine rales or wheezes.’
- ‘Examination of the lungs may initially reveal focal rales that will eventually become diffuse.’
- ‘The chest had diffuse wheezes and occasional rales.’
- ‘The physician should check the chest and lungs for signs of consolidation, wheezing, rales, and trauma.’
- ‘Physical examination of the lungs may reveal rales and pleural effusions.’
Early 19th century: from French râle, from râler ‘to rattle’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.