Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A former beach now lying above water level owing to geological changes since its formation.
- ‘The first mile is on a raised beach and follows the rugged coastline.’
- ‘Numerous raised beaches have been recognized in this area.’
- ‘Carbon dating of driftwood on raised beaches supports this scenario, suggesting that more icefree conditions prevailed during this same period.’
- ‘The region lacks prominent landmarks, and the raised beaches are sandy and subject to wind erosion and sand drift.’
- ‘Situated on a raised beach next to the sea, the site ‘had all the hallmarks of ancient building techniques’ and Fife Council set to excavate.’
raised beach/rāzd bēCH/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.