Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Elevated to a higher position or level; lifted.‘they ate on a raised platform at one end of the hall’
- ‘The flooring is Canadian beech and this is teamed with a raised fireplace, ceiling coving and a pale yellow colour scheme.’
- ‘To the right, the drawing room is a spacious area with a raised fireplace with brass inset and white marble hearth.’
- ‘Sills at nine locks are still to be lowered and seventeen bridges and guard gates must yet be raised to the twenty-foot level.’
- ‘We also found drainage manhole covers raised to drain off the waters.’
- ‘A mound, or motte, was raised up to one hundred feet in height.’
- ‘This will create age structure in the heather, improve habitat for grouse and allow us to see if there are any drainage channels taking water away from the raised mire.’
- ‘I don't grow in rows, but in raised beds.’
- ‘The noses are riveted to a raised area, carefully indented to the front along a vertical midline.’
- 1.1 Embossed; in relief.‘the building features raised lettering’embossed, relief, relievo, cameo, die-stamped, thermographed, ribbedView synonyms
- 1.2 (of bread or pastry) made with a raising agent such as yeast.‘raised doughnuts’
2More intense or strong than usual; higher.‘a neighbor heard raised voices from the women's apartment’‘as we age we are more likely to have raised blood pressure’
- ‘The temperature was raised using a linear heating rate of 1.0°C / min.’
- ‘The growth chamber temperature was gradually raised from 24 °C to 39 °C over a period of 2 weeks.’
- ‘Yet, voices continue to be raised in opposition.’
- ‘Archie looked back to the crewmen who were now looking their way, attracted by their raised voices.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.