Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A luxuriant, dense forest rich in biodiversity, found typically in tropical areas with consistently heavy rainfall.
tropical forestView synonyms
- ‘Made up of dense rainforests, and barren plateaus, it provided the extreme conditions necessary for good combat training.’
- ‘Over the past 30 years, the world has lost fully a fifth of all biodiverse tropical rainforests.’
- ‘Gardenias are tropical rainforest plants, so do not like to be planted in a full sun environment.’
- ‘The small area of tropical rainforests has such a profusion of endemic species that most of them were placed on the World Heritage list in the 1980s.’
- ‘Several kilometres away, a pair of hunters made their way through a temperate rainforest.’
- ‘Its rainforests have never been cleared for timber or replaced with sugar plantations.’
- ‘These birds inhabit coastal rainforests and wooded areas where they can easily fly, hop or climb from tree to tree.’
- ‘As we trudged through the dense rainforest we spotted several species of birds and pitcher plants.’
- ‘Nature buffs will appreciate the lush rainforests and the Misty Fjords National Monument.’
- ‘In nature, orchids usually use trees as an anchor for support, often growing in areas with very high rainfall, such as rainforests.’
- ‘The rainforest trek begins on November 4 in a national park to the north of Brasilia, the capital city.’
- ‘The project features an interpretive signage pathway within the rainforest parkland.’
- ‘Eurycoma longifolia is a rainforest plant that has a long history of use as a medicinal herb.’
- ‘Light can be blinding on the high altitude salt flats, or dense and green in the rainforest.’
- ‘They are primarily forest birds and live in rainforests of tropical Asia and Africa.’
- ‘After travelling out from the capital city, Caracas, they prepared to enter the humid tropical rainforests that cover the country.’
- ‘Imagine the Scottish moors with temperate rainforests and sinuous rivers, and you have Tasmania.’
- ‘The drop in global temperature also reduces the tropical rainforests in the Amazon Basin to small ribbons running along the rivers.’
- ‘By cutting down the rainforest you are destroying an entire ecosystem of both plants and animals.’
- ‘Lions can also live, with wider ranges, in most habitats except in tropical rainforests and in deserts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.