One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long coat made from waterproofed or water-resistant fabric.
- ‘From the coolest raincoats to the classiest overcoats, you're not ready for spring until you get your hands on a spring jacket.’
- ‘The squad owns black raincoats and black parkas in a variety of sizes to accommodate all members for every type of weather.’
- ‘Instead, according to the weather bureau, you'll be more comfortable in raincoats and windbreakers - if you intend venturing outdoors.’
- ‘Who wears a trilby, a cravat and an old raincoat around these parts?’
- ‘The men are in plain clothes and wear light raincoats or light overcoats over their uniforms.’
- ‘Three years ago Burberry meant outdated raincoats, but now the check has been transformed into one of the hottest fashion labels.’
- ‘You just need to pray that it does not rain or, to be on the safe side, bring one of those plastic poncho raincoats that fits in your purse.’
- ‘I find a raincoat on the coat rack and pick up an umbrella and take the girls outside.’
- ‘Almost all the raincoats were transparent plastic and made from a variety of materials from cling film to film negatives.’
- ‘They were all wearing raincoats and trilby hats and carrying small cardboard suitcases.’
- ‘Two men in felt hats and raincoats cast long shadows outside what we take to be Parliament Buildings.’
- ‘Beyond a police car and a dark van, he stopped beside a man in a raincoat and a bowler hat.’
- ‘Enclosed are ideas for embellishing your fabric and waterproofing it to make a beautiful raincoat.’
- ‘He once turned up at Buckingham Palace in a fawn raincoat, woollen gloves and an old silk hat.’
- ‘A raincoat will keep you high and dry, and it's a great way to add some punch to your sweater and jeans.’
- ‘There stood two older boys, both dressed in yellow raincoats with big yellow hoods covering their eyes.’
- ‘There are caps, a raincoat, a water-proof jacket, an umbrella and a medium weight jerkin, all kept in his care.’
- ‘Those attending have been advised to come prepared for the weather, raincoat and trousers and waterproof footwear.’
- ‘Trek yanked on his jeans and a yellow raincoat and ran out into the storm.’
- ‘We have raincoats, hats, and umbrellas - to shut out every dampened feeling that is falling upon us.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.