One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A political alliance of differing groups, typically one comprising minority peoples and other disadvantaged groups.
- ‘He sees the famed cohesion of the 1994-97 rainbow coalition as his trump card.’
- ‘This is not on the bankrupt model of the rainbow coalitions of the 1980s where different identities only came together to force their separate programmes on each other.’
- ‘Fine Gael has already indicated that it would be willing to negotiate a pact with Sinn Fein and that could result in a rainbow coalition involving Fine Gael, Labour, Sinn Fein and two others.’
- ‘But because they have not yet fought together as a class they often see themselves as a rainbow coalition.’
- ‘That rainbow coalition has been fraying now for quite some time.’
- ‘Talk abounds about a rainbow coalition after the next general election here.’
- ‘Megawati took over the national leadership in July riding a wave of support from a rainbow coalition united against former president Abdurrahman Wahid.’
- ‘Party sources have also given little consideration to the option of a bit-part in a future rainbow coalition comprising Fine Gael, Labour and possibly the Greens.’
- ‘The 13-party National Front, the rainbow coalition led by Abdullah, clearly took note of this and has been playing up the development card.’
- ‘What we lack is leadership, not a rainbow coalition.’
- ‘The high school dropout who parlayed a second chance into the Speakership of the California Assembly sought to build a rainbow coalition of the left in a rapidly diversifying city.’
- ‘If we had more diversity within a coalition, maybe a rainbow coalition, then we would have a better voice.’
- ‘The present Cabinet is really a rainbow coalition reflecting, or rather dictated by, the political reality at the time of selection.’
- ‘On the Nice Treaty, he believes that a rainbow coalition combined to defeat the treaty last time.’
- ‘The rainbow coalition of minorities had now turned against their erstwhile patron.’
- ‘Vajpayee's BJP is the main party in India's ruling rainbow coalition consisting a score of political parties.’
- ‘I can only say thank you to the rainbow coalition out there who supported us in any way they could.’
- ‘It is naive to think that the new rulers in Kabul will willingly hand power over to some rainbow coalition of their ethnic rivals.’
- ‘It's about management teams pragmatically and opportunistically assembling rainbow coalitions of voters by calculated appeals to specific interest groups, generations and so on.’
- ‘He repeated a request to voters to continue preferences to Labour and the Green Party, likely members of an alternative rainbow coalition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.