One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An alternative date for an event in case of inclement weather.
- ‘Some 7,000 fireworks will light up the night sky over Yokohama at the 4th annual International Fireworks Festival celebrating the opening of the city's port on July 20 (rain date July 21).’
- ‘One rider who does not plan to return for the rain date is ‘BAD Bruce’ Dickson, whose engine expired during the second qualifying session.’
- ‘She faced a tough decision: remain in Pomona for the rain date, or make the 2,500-mile trek to Gainesville for the Division 2 racing series season opener.’
- ‘We went to a National Meet plan of Thursday to Sunday (four days, no rain date).’
- ‘When you do a farmers' market, there are no rain dates.’
- ‘Clean-up date is May 10 (rain date May 24), so drivers will want to take extra precautions on the highway when driving past clean-up crews.’
- 1.1Baseball The day to which a rained-out game is postponed.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.