One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing.‘ladies clothed in raiment bedecked with jewels’
outfit, clothes, costume, ensemble, suit, clothing, dress, attire, garments, garb, turnout, rig, uniform, livery, array, regalia, robes, fineryView synonyms
- ‘It's an especially lovely option at this time of year, with the trees donning their autumnal raiment.’
- ‘Their long slender bodies were clothed in raiment so silky, and their staffs issued high command.’
- ‘Acolytes in white and brown raiment came forth, standing just before her.’
- ‘Poseidon clothes himself in raiment of gold, grasps his gold whip, and takes his stand upon his chariot.’
- ‘A lone figure stood on the deck, dressed in raiment of yellow and lime, bearing short white hair that stood upright, and wielding a wood staff with a white rabbit carved atop it.’
Late Middle English: shortening of obsolete arrayment ‘dress, outfit’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.