Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A style of music fusing Arabic and Algerian folk elements with Western rock.
- ‘With unparalleled vocal skills and musical imagination, Khaled was the man who took Algerian rai music into the mainstream.’
- ‘By the time of Hasni's death, rai music was a major front in the confrontation between Algerian Islamism and the secular forces it sought to overcome.’
- ‘Music, of course, is another intensely important arena, particularly so these days in North Africa and France, where rai music has made the pop charts.’
- ‘Satire, political cartoons, rai music, and a rich political slang in dialectical Arabic provide outlets for political sentiment.’
- ‘Rachid Taha's opening track ‘Rock El Casbah’ merges Algerian rai sounds with the famous punk classic.’
1980s: perhaps from Arabic ha er-ray, literally that's the thinking, here is the view a phrase frequently found in the songs.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.