One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yellow-flowered plant of the daisy family that is a common weed of grazing land. It is toxic to livestock, especially when dried.
- ‘Many landowners have to spend time, effort and money to clear the ragwort from our land that has been caused by the council's infestation.’
- ‘Daisies usually call to mind open, dry fields bathed in sun, but ragwort is one daisy that thrives in shaded, wet soil.’
- ‘Although the yellow-flowered ragwort is an attractive-looking plant, it is poisonous to animals and can cause skin reactions in people.’
- ‘Common ragwort, with its distinctive yellow flowers, is a very hardy plant producing up to 150,000 seeds at a time, which can survive for up to 20 years.’
- ‘On the line itself, ragwort and cow parsley grew almost as high as the platform, but in the gaps you could see the tracks were gone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.