One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Music characterized by a syncopated melodic line and regularly accented accompaniment, evolved by black American musicians in the 1890s and played especially on the piano.
- ‘The next number, ‘Coffee's Cold,’ relies on a bouncy ragtime groove with just a bit of swing.’
- ‘The story of their rise to popularity as jazz music evolved from ragtime to bebop is firmly traced in Brotherhood in Rhythm.’
- ‘Her solos are reminiscent of Wally Rose's lilting ragtime sides on the first Watters Jazzman records in 1941.’
- ‘In their dancing, in their minstrelsy and then in ragtime, black Americans were insisting on setting European-style music free by refusing to be restricted to a ground beat.’
- ‘His drum solos brought on much applause from an audience obviously starved for the New Orleans ragtime style music.’
- ‘A tinny piano plays a bouncy ragtime tune over faded sepia photos, unwittingly romanticizing an era now long past.’
- ‘The festival features dozens of performers and music from traditional and contemporary folk to music hall, ragtime, sea shanties, country and more besides.’
- ‘Scott Joplin is regarded as the pre-eminent composer of ragtime compositions.’
- ‘The bars and brothels provided steady work for the piano players who had developed ragtime.’
- ‘It's set in a honky-tonk hall and it's just a very colourful piece that's a great way to finish the show with a ragtime band on stage.’
- ‘The superimposed ragtime piano music, played by David Shephard, gives the film cohesiveness.’
- ‘We peered inside the window, and to my surprise, I saw my mother and father dancing to old ragtime music.’
- ‘Although she died relatively young, Mills was an inventive influence in the worlds of both jazz and ragtime in the 1920s.’
- ‘This time round, Doc and the All Stars entertained the audience with a full quartet of drums, clarinet, keyboards and trumpet with some classic ragtime sounds and upbeat Dixieland.’
- ‘Much of the wonderful music is ragtime, which took America by storm in the early years of the twentieth Century.’
- ‘Live music from blues to ragtime will accompany the drinking and entrance is free to all sessions.’
- ‘Not only is Keith a great pianist, he is considered one of the world's leading experts on classical jazz and ragtime music.’
- ‘The instrumentals are clean and crisp, nicely showcasing Parker's mixture of chamber music and ragtime.’
- ‘The band members describe their musical style as ‘foot-stomping acoustic ragtime blues’, and the description is pretty spot on.’
- ‘About the street one now more often hears ragtime hummed than an old tribal song,’ she continued.’
Probably from rag (from the syncopation) + time.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.