One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of dance music similar to dancehall in which a DJ improvises lyrics over a sampled or electronic backing track.
- ‘But the rest of the record is pretty good too, shifting wildly between bluesy rap, dancefloor ragga, punk guitar, dubbed-out ska and spacey ambience.’
- ‘Cleverly put together, his beats carry the sing-songy attraction of ragga, the hardcore baseline of hip-hop, and more importantly, the mass commercial appeal of breaking the mainstream.’
- ‘The trio's music is indeed firmly rooted in the rhythms of house music although it incorporates ragga, reggae, dance hall, rap and contemporary R&B.’
- ‘Yet, their early releases remained surprisingly conservative considering the angle adopted by the pair, sticking to hip-hop, ragga and dancehall a tad too closely for comfort.’
- ‘Questions surrounding the issue as to whether they would make the grade with their new style of ragga have been answered with the release of their aptly titled debut album Mentally Disturbed.’
1990s: from ragamuffin, because of the style of clothing worn by its followers.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.