One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or pastime of traveling down a river on a raft.
- ‘The Tuesday and Saturday-only programme starts with a 9 a.m. hotel pick-up, and the first stop is white-water rafting on the Ayung River.’
- ‘A self-confessed ‘adrenaline junkie’, she is also learning to snowboard and lists white-water rafting, caving and climbing among other pursuits she has done.’
- ‘The facilities at the Equinox river rafting camp are extremely basic.’
- ‘Even in her later years, she enjoyed physical challenges, such as white-water rafting on the Colorado River, ballooning in Namibia and skidooing in Iceland.’
- ‘A 55-mile rafting trip down the lower Colorado River through the Grand Canyon has been arranged and designed specifically for conference attendees.’
- ‘He was the tour leader for our white water rafting adventure on the Kiulu River.’
- ‘It is exciting enough launching through the surf in calm conditions, but if the winds pick up, your boat trip to the Banks will be more like white-water rafting on the Zambezi River!’
- ‘As a corollary to next weekend's event, Kaohsiung County has also organized the first international rafting race on the same stretch of the Lao-Nong River for July 4.’
- ‘Apart from the gymnasium, swimming pool and sauna, ministers could indulge in a spot of white-water rafting and windsurfing if they desired.’
- ‘The best time for river rafting is April through October.’
- ‘The Classic Ride and Raft includes three hours of trail riding, a deli lunch and rafting on the Kananaskis River.’
- ‘He expanded the program to include summertime adventure travel, including rafting in the Grand Canyon and kayaking at Lake Powell.’
- ‘Now why is it that these kinds of adventure sports, like white-water rafting, have gained such appeal for ordinary people to have a go at in the 1990s?’
- ‘I'm told that the Orchy is also the most thrilling river in Britain for white-water rafting.’
- ‘The steep hills and valleys also offer superb rivers for white-water rafting.’
- ‘For those more inclined for water volleyball or rafting, there is an expansive swimming area.’
- ‘Mountain biking, horseback riding, and river rafting are only a few of the activities available, but don't expect television or telephones at Pack Creek Ranch, where cabins sleep up to six people.’
- ‘The company is currently focusing on skiing trips, but plans to diversify into rafting and scuba diving in the near future.’
- ‘River rafting is more about managing risks than it is about taking them.’
- ‘River-buging is white-water rafting, only instead of a raft, you go down the rapids in a one-man inflatable armchair.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.