Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sport or pastime of traveling down a river on a raft.
- ‘River rafting is more about managing risks than it is about taking them.’
- ‘A self-confessed ‘adrenaline junkie’, she is also learning to snowboard and lists white-water rafting, caving and climbing among other pursuits she has done.’
- ‘Mountain biking, horseback riding, and river rafting are only a few of the activities available, but don't expect television or telephones at Pack Creek Ranch, where cabins sleep up to six people.’
- ‘The facilities at the Equinox river rafting camp are extremely basic.’
- ‘The company is currently focusing on skiing trips, but plans to diversify into rafting and scuba diving in the near future.’
- ‘The best time for river rafting is April through October.’
- ‘I'm told that the Orchy is also the most thrilling river in Britain for white-water rafting.’
- ‘He was the tour leader for our white water rafting adventure on the Kiulu River.’
- ‘Even in her later years, she enjoyed physical challenges, such as white-water rafting on the Colorado River, ballooning in Namibia and skidooing in Iceland.’
- ‘It is exciting enough launching through the surf in calm conditions, but if the winds pick up, your boat trip to the Banks will be more like white-water rafting on the Zambezi River!’
- ‘As a corollary to next weekend's event, Kaohsiung County has also organized the first international rafting race on the same stretch of the Lao-Nong River for July 4.’
- ‘The Tuesday and Saturday-only programme starts with a 9 a.m. hotel pick-up, and the first stop is white-water rafting on the Ayung River.’
- ‘The Classic Ride and Raft includes three hours of trail riding, a deli lunch and rafting on the Kananaskis River.’
- ‘A 55-mile rafting trip down the lower Colorado River through the Grand Canyon has been arranged and designed specifically for conference attendees.’
- ‘The steep hills and valleys also offer superb rivers for white-water rafting.’
- ‘He expanded the program to include summertime adventure travel, including rafting in the Grand Canyon and kayaking at Lake Powell.’
- ‘For those more inclined for water volleyball or rafting, there is an expansive swimming area.’
- ‘Apart from the gymnasium, swimming pool and sauna, ministers could indulge in a spot of white-water rafting and windsurfing if they desired.’
- ‘Now why is it that these kinds of adventure sports, like white-water rafting, have gained such appeal for ordinary people to have a go at in the 1990s?’
- ‘River-buging is white-water rafting, only instead of a raft, you go down the rapids in a one-man inflatable armchair.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.