One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A method of dating geological or archeological specimens by determining the relative proportions of particular radioactive isotopes present in a sample.
- ‘Of these artifacts, the material best suited for radiometric dating was a set of bone awls.’
- ‘Early in the 1800s, experts had agreed upon a vast age for the Earth and for life forms found in fossils, later reinforced by techniques like radiometric dating.’
- ‘Here, rifting took place in the Early Griesbachian and the Late Griesbachian, respectively, based on ammonoid data and radiometric dating.’
- ‘For radiometric dating we selected from each zircon concentrate about 10-20 clean crystals with neither fractures nor inclusions.’
- ‘The San Juan Member is late Oligocene based upon biostratigraphy and radiometric dating.’
- ‘Samples for radiometric dating were collected after the main magnetostratigraphic units were defined in the field.’
- ‘The results reported here are being tested by carrying out further radiometric dating of titanites from calc-silicate assemblages in both the Moine Nappe and the Sgurr Beag Nappe.’
- ‘The assigned date of 160,000 years is regarded as ‘very secure’ using a form of radiometric dating involving argon isotopes called the Ar / Ar method.’
- ‘Another method of radiometric dating uses the decay of rubidium - 87 to strontium - 87.’
- ‘Patterson used radiometric dating, specifically U-Pb dating, to determine the age of the Canyon Diablo meteorite in the early 1950s and that date was 4.55 billion years old.’
- ‘Three charcoal and two shell samples were used for radiometric dating; the results suggest that the Onyoma site was occupied from 1275 to 1690 C.E.’
- ‘In recent years radiometric dating of volcanic lavas, particularly in North Germany, has been used to redefine the PermianCarboniferous boundary.’
- ‘Recruited to join a research project on the Earth's magnetic field, Dalrymple came to the USGS in 1963 to establish a laboratory for precise radiometric dating of rocks.’
- ‘An attempt to resolve the chronological debate regarding Baehr-Gust has been made through stratigraphic analysis and radiometric dating.’
- ‘In the Creation Museum, we will demonstrate that the science of radiometric dating - when properly interpreted - does not show that the earth is billions of years old.’
- ‘As an old earth creationist, he accepts the validity of radiometric dating and the ancient age of life on earth.’
- ‘The age of the Ordovician boundaries were determined using potassium-argon and uranium radiometric dating.’
- ‘A drawback is that the U content of the titanites is very low, making radiometric dating difficult.’
- ‘Their mission was based on collecting granitic rocks for radiometric dating to determine the precise ages of the major geological events that have shaped the continent of Antarctica.’
- ‘In an attempt to resolve this conundrum, we have carried out multidisciplinary research involving field studies, radiometric dating, geochemistry, palaeontology and palaeomagnetism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.