One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for detecting or measuring the intensity or force of radiation.
- ‘They also used satellite-mounted sensors called radiometers to determine the amount, type, and temperature of the vegetation.’
- ‘Rather than measure temperature directly, a differential radiometer uses a pair of antennae to detect the difference in temperature between two separate parts of the sky.’
- ‘Broadband radiometers are common tools to measure UV-A, UV-B or the ultraviolet index.’
- ‘And that absorption forms the basis by which satellite UV radiometers detect ozone from space.’
- ‘The UV-B radiometer is intended to measure the hemispheric radiation reaching a horizontal surface.’
- ‘He led the design and construction of a new generation of precision radiometers, which have been flown extensively on both manned and unmanned aircraft.’
- ‘It arrived at Venus at a distance of 34, 800 kilometers and scanned its surface with infrared and microwave radiometers.’
- ‘Light intensities were measured ca. every 15 minutes from sunrise to sunset at each microsite on a clear day in summer and winter using a quantum radiometer.’
- ‘Unlike other temperature-measuring devices, the radiometer makes its measurements remotely.’
- ‘During that time, each of its six radiometers takes 70 million measurements.’
- ‘The radiometer measured light intensity by the number of revolutions induced over time, and the bolometer measured a decrease in electrical resistance upon absorption of radiation.’
- ‘In 2002, Australian National University scientists found a way to measure global dimming without the use of radiometers.’
- ‘We added three sets of broadband solar radiometers mounted on an aircraft, which was flown over the site and above stratiform clouds at an altitude of 7 km.’
- ‘Maps that show areas of potential floods use precipitation radar data and high-resolution measurements of water content of clouds made by microwave radiometers.’
- ‘The UVA and SUV radiometers measure the total global solar irradiance away from any shade.’
- ‘To maintain the continuity of the record it is necessary that the cycled radiometers have the same spectral responsivities.’
- ‘The emitted dose was regularly quantified by a UVB radiometer and photodetector.’
- ‘The effect of these differences on the field operation of UV-B radiometers has been studied by calculating the instrumental response from modeled UV spectra.’
- ‘An independent calibration, traceable to it UK national standard, was carried out on the IL1400A radiometer and detector by the Gloucestershire medical physics service.’
- ‘The measurements should deviate less than 8% during the whole day if the radiometers are mounted side by side and detect the same solar radiation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.