Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A single-celled aquatic animal that has a spherical, amoebalike body with a spiny skeleton of silica. Their skeletons can accumulate as a slimy deposit on the seabed.
- ‘Like other radiolarians, Acantharea have an elaborate mineralized skeleton.’
- ‘Won regarded the hollow canal structure as one of the indicators of the close relationship of radiolarians and the Porifera.’
- ‘Therefore, in terms of geological age determined by radiolarians and the ammonoid, this brachiopod fauna should be assigned to the latest Changhsingian.’
- ‘It is also noteworthy that these radiolarians generally have quite fine frameworks and thin shell walls, resulting in semitransparent specimens.’
- ‘However, because of the morphological differences between modern radiolarians and ancient ones, it is difficult to reconstruct precisely the ecology of ancient radiolarians.’
Relating to or formed from radiolarians.
- ‘Well-preserved Late Cambrian radiolarian faunas were recovered from carbonate rocks of the Cow Head Group of the Great Northern Peninsula of the island of Newfoundland, Canada.’
- ‘Twenty-two samples for radiolarian research were collected from the grayish black, thin-bedded limestone and siliceous limestone of the Baoqing Member and the Mcishan Member.’
- ‘This contradiction cannot be resolved at present due to a lack of Cambrian radiolarian studies, which are needed to provide chronostratigraphic corroboration.’
- ‘Calcareous oozes are common in the low and mid-latitudes while in other places, particularly the high latitudes, radiolarian oozes tend to dominate.’
- ‘This indicates that there existed a short period of radiolarian development before the great extinction at the Permian-Triassic transition.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.