One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A region surrounding a planet where charged particles accumulate under the influence of the planet's magnetic field.
- ‘A major finding of the magnetospheric imaging instrument is the discovery of a new radiation belt just above Saturn's cloud tops, up to the inner edge of the D-ring.’
- ‘Other measurements obtained during the mission provided new data on the Earth's radiation belt and the discovery that the Moon has no magnetic field.’
- ‘These radiation belts surround the Earth with a stormy environment of energetic particles that could affect the electronic systems and computers on board the spacecraft.’
- ‘That orbit regularly takes the station near the auroral zone and the ‘horns’ of the outer radiation belt - where the trapped particles descend toward the atmosphere.’
- ‘In 1958, the Explorer III became the US's first satellite and it also discovered Earth's radiation belt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.