One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The official or advertised price of a hotel room, on which a discount is usually negotiable.
- ‘While published hotel sales usually offer decent savings off rack rates - the highest possible rate - be aware that most major hotel chains offer special discounts for travelers willing to book online rates.’
- ‘The rack rate starts at over 2,000 baht per night.’
- ‘Hotels may try to convince you that the rack rate is their typical room rate, but it's not.’
- ‘And no bargains: you must pay the rack rate, which now hovers around $250 a night.’
- ‘But with few tourists willing to pay its $370 per night rack rate, the hotel has been reduced to enticing Zimbabwean residents with a knockdown rate of $35.’
- ‘The normal rack rate for 2002 has been determined at N $600-00 per person per day, also for bed & breakfast in shared accommodation.’
- ‘The hotel's rack rate is $275 that can be negotiated as low as $80 including meals.’
- ‘The hotel is due to open at Christmas next year, with rack rates expected to be around €125 per night per room.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.