One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for cog railway
- ‘To go over the Andes by rail entailed very steep gradients indeed, and when I come to write about rack railways I will come back to them.’
- ‘This was not the first rack railway in Switzerland, but it is still there, still steam, and is as good an example as one can now find.’
- ‘The first rack railway was built in Rigi in 1873 and the one to Jungfrau mountain in 1898.’
- ‘Even today rack railways are not too uncommon in some countries, especially mountainous ones.’
- ‘You can also take the easy option and ride the early morning rack railway up the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak.’
rack railway/ˈrak ˌrālwā/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.