A flower cluster with the separate flowers attached by short equal stalks at equal distances along a central stem. The flowers at the base of the central stem develop first.
bunch, clump, collection, mass, knot, group, clutch, bundle, nestView synonyms
- ‘All three species have similar flower phenology: in general, the terminal raceme matures acropetally and the flowers are first staminate, then pistillate, and the sexual stages do not overlap within the flower.’
- ‘Flowers emerge on terminal racemes and are subtended by small bracts.’
- ‘In both experiments, flowers on racemes from main stem nodes in the middle of the canopy were tagged before anthesis and their development and growth were monitored.’
- ‘The flowers grow in a raceme, an unbranched stalk that blooms from the bottom up.’
- ‘In summer, the tall flower stems bear racemes of up to 20 huge, strongly perfumed, white, trumpet-shaped flowers with glossy green leaves.’
Late 18th century: from Latin racemus bunch of grapes.