Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The activity or competitive sport of walking at a very fast pace.‘the two main muscle groups used while race walking are the abdominal and glute muscles’[as modifier] ‘the 1,500-meter race-walking event’
- ‘Race walking is as, if not even more, arduous than many other categories, yet exponents are seldom acknowledged in the same athletic conversation.’
- ‘Her family is steeped in tradition when it comes to race walking and Emma will have plenty of advice from her three brothers.’
- ‘Of course, you have to be prepared for every scenario in race-walking.’
- ‘Unlike in running, according to the sport's rules, one foot must remain in contact with the ground in race walking.’
- ‘The boys took to race-walking like ducks to water, and they have the results to prove their dedication and application, which they hope will propel them to new heights in Glasgow on Saturday.’
- ‘Although race walking is his forte, he has figured in this event a number of times and finished third three years ago in a time of 20:20.’
- ‘There's nothing groovy about race-walking, but it requires the same dedication, the same commitment, and at least equal training to get among the medals.’
- ‘Race walking actually has a longer history than many of the more glamorous track and field events.’
- ‘I always say that race walking takes the strength and agility of a gymnast, the technique of a ballet dancer and the endurance of a marathon runner.’
- ‘Dogs make great companions for strolling, race-walking or any pace in between.’
- ‘Race walking is probably more mentally demanding than any other track discipline, Sundlun said.’
- ‘The 34-year-old Pole, one of the all-time greats of race walking, clocked 3:36:39 in winning the 50 km at the European championships in Munich.’
- ‘All the athletes above have been selected to represent Ireland on the 12th July in Dublin at the Waterford Crystal International Grand Prix of race walking.’
- ‘Also, I may have to rethink the idea that jogging is faster than race walking.’
- ‘Participants then compete in five year-age divisions in all athletic disciplines including the marathon, cross country running and race walking.’
- ‘However, race-walking isn't the first discipline that springs to most minds when contemplating the schedule of track and field events.’
- ‘Philip says that since age ten he has been intrigued by the technical and physiological demands of race walking.’
- ‘Leah took up race walking last year, inspired by her older sister.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.