One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A grayish-brown American mammal that has a foxlike face with a black mask and a ringed tail.
- ‘Desert woodrats are vulnerable to predation by coyotes, raccoons, owls, gopher and rattlesnakes, and hawks.’
- ‘Woodlands near water are their preferred habitat, although raccoons may also be found in farmlands, suburban or urban areas.’
- ‘Birds of prey, crows, ravens, and raccoons try to steal their eggs and chicks.’
- ‘For the raccoons, he left food scraps in a hubcap dish leashed by chain to a tree so the animals wouldn't drag it under the cottage.’
- ‘Cougars normally eat deer, but will also prey on raccoons, cats and dogs if the opportunity presents itself, he said.’
- ‘Martins tend to avoid such housing as it is much more accessible to predators such as cats, raccoons, and squirrels.’
- ‘That's when the animals are most active and it's fun to see the deer, raccoons, opossums, rabbits, and birds.’
- ‘During a mass emergence of periodical cicadas, almost any animal, from raccoons to raptors, will prey on them.’
- ‘In addition, one million hunters spent 19 million days hunting other animals such as raccoons and woodchucks.’
- ‘Remember not to leave unattended garbage around for local raccoons or opossums.’
- ‘Smaller animals such as raccoons, squirrels and rabbits are also hunted for sport.’
- ‘He mentioned in passing that as a kid here he could tell the difference between the footprints of foxes, groundhogs and raccoons.’
- ‘This is because the giant panda and its cousin, the lesser or red panda, share many characteristics with both bears and raccoons.’
- ‘Snakes are prey to many animals, including large birds, foxes, raccoons and crocodiles.’
- ‘Crickets are eaten by small owls, birds, snakes, mice, frogs, raccoons, opossums and many other creatures.’
- ‘There are more than 250 species of birds, in an island just 26 miles long and seven miles wide, and animals from armadillos and agoutis to racoons and opossums.’
- ‘From North America came squirrels and raccoons, bears and bison, eagles and an elk.’
- ‘The most common goldfish predators are herons, raccoons, and cats.’
- ‘Mammalian predators such as raccoons readily prey on frogs with seemingly no ill effects.’
- ‘Still other eutherians, such as raccoons and bears, are omnivores, eating both meat and plant material.’
- 1.1 The fur of the raccoon.
- ‘It can be made from a variety of pelts and hides including leather, sealskin, mink, racoon, rabbit or pigskin in hundreds of different styles.’
- ‘No mink stole or raccoon wrap is safe from a pulpy projectile that's gone to seed.’
Early 17th century: from Virginia Algonquian aroughcun.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.