One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person or remark) suitable for or worth quoting.
- ‘Young Mirza, however, is perky, confident, and quotable.’
- ‘There are better, more quotable lyrics throughout the album.’
- ‘He showers you with quotable quotes and his interviews are peppered with sensational statements.’
- ‘In the ‘more things change, the more they stay the same’ department, here's a quotable quote.’
- ‘That's got to be as poor a metaphor as I've ever seen, and if it's one of the book's quotable high points, the volume is in trouble.’
- ‘This novel may have contained the highest number of classic quotable lines in history.’
- ‘An example was the governor's State of the State address, which included a quotable line on the snoozy topic of governmental reorganization.’
- ‘It was a genuinely fun wee low-budget film, and contained a million instantly quotable lines.’
- ‘So what do you think is the most quotable line from a movie?’
- ‘He has received several teaching awards, as well as the unprecedented award of being ‘the most quotable professor’ by MathSoc.’
- ‘One of the writers, who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent, really scored with the quotable line of the evening.’
- ‘Presumably, the quotable lines are highlighted.’
- ‘And not only that; it is also a play with relatively little memorable poetry and few quotable lines.’
- ‘In Washington, just about everyone wants to be a pundit, the wise and respected quotable somebody who keeps popping up in newspapers and on television.’
- ‘The disappointment will stem from the fact that a single viewing is not enough to leave a vivid memory of a single line of quotable dialogue or a scene that has real emotional impact.’
- ‘This film is eminently quotable, as it quotes many sources itself.’
- ‘It had some very quotable lines, this one being my favourite.’
- ‘Like Graham himself, the 24-minute announcement speech was solid and sensible but devoid of quotable rhetoric.’
- ‘Oh, and it's definitely for me, it's the most hilarious comedy I've seen at the cinema for a long, long time, full of immensely quotable lines and an absolutely awesome supporting cast.’
- ‘His achievements in football were unbelievable, but he succeeded in transcending all that and became one of the most interesting and quotable characters in the country.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.