One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of antibiotics used in treating a variety of mainly Gram-negative infections, and thought to be responsible for antibiotic resistance in some microbes.
- ‘Ciprofloxacin given orally shows rapid selectivity, which promotes resistance, and quinolones are not recommended in adolescents because of the associated risk of arthropathy.’
- ‘When used in combination with agents from other antibiotic classes, such as beta-lactams and aminoglycosides, the quinolones are not predictably synergistic.’
- ‘Patients with prior exposure to any of the quinolones are likely to develop resistance to other quinolones.’
- ‘The main chemical feature that distinguishes fluoroquinolones from the early quinolones is the presence of a fluorine at position six.’
- ‘Diabetic foot infections, which are polymicrobial, can be treated with quinolones in combination with other antibiotics.’
- ‘Drugs that have been implicated include penicillin, aminopenicillins, sulfonamides, allopurinol, thiazides, quinolones, hydantoins, and propylthiouracil.’
- ‘The patient was treated with quinolones with significant improvement but died 1 month later, apparently from upper airway obstruction.’
- ‘And it interacts with several common medications, including bronchodilators, the quinolone class of antibiotics, and anti-anxiety drugs.’
- ‘Tendon injuries are a known important complication of treatment with quinolone antibiotics, especially in elderly people and when used in conjunction with corticosteroids.’
- ‘The original quinolone antibiotics included nalidixic acid, cinoxacin and oxolinic acid (no longer available in the United States).’
- ‘The quinolones are broad-spectrum antibiotics.’
- ‘These agents can bind to several drug classes including quinolones, and tetracyclines.’
- ‘Resistance to quinolones can also develop because of alterations in bacterial permeability and the development of efflux pumps.’
- ‘Future trials should also examine long term outcomes, recurrence rate, long term survival, and the development of resistant pathogens, particularly with quinolones.’
- ‘Because of their extensive gram-negative coverage, quinolone antibiotics were initially used to treat urinary tract infections.’
- ‘The second-generation quinolones have increased gram-negative activity, as well as some gram-positive and atypical pathogen coverage.’
- ‘New information includes the wider spread of quinolone resistance to Neisseria gonorrhoeae and the need for follow-up testing in women treated for chlamydial infection.’
- ‘Persons who have a history of hypersensitivity to levofloxacin, quinolone antimicrobial agents or any other components of the medication should not use levofloxacin.’
- ‘In addition, one study reported an eightfold increase in a medication-resistant food-poisoning bacteria after the antibiotic - quinolone - was approved to be used in chickens.’
- ‘Tetracycline or quinolones for a period of 6 months or until nasal biopsies are negative are recommended.’
1930s: from quin- (in quinoline) + -one.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.