Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An arrangement of five objects with four at the corners of a square or rectangle and the fifth at its center, used for the five on dice or playing cards, and in planting trees.
- ‘Its name derives from the Latin word quincunx for the X-like shape of the spots on the 5-face of a dice.’
- ‘Most Mesomerican peoples understood the cosmos itself to be four-sided or quincunx in configuration, being defined by the four cardinal directions and a fifth, the center.’
- ‘He goes in for rhomboids, quincunxes, and chess logic; even his ubiquitous infinities are of a linear, ‘Euclidean’ sort.’
- ‘People long ago produced fiendishly complicated analyses of visual forms: witness Nicholas of Cusa's tract on the all-seeing icon of Christ and Thomas Browne's labyrinthine meditation on the quincunx.’
An aspect of 150°, equivalent to five zodiacal signs.
- ‘Saturn conjunct, Mars opposition and quincunx Pluto, all are powerful and aggressive controlling aspects.’
- ‘Also known as the quincunx and denoted by the symbol, it is said to represent a harsh or tense relationship based upon incompatibility.’
- ‘There are nine aspects in common use: the five major aspects - conjunction, opposition, trine, square and sextile - and four minor aspects - the semi-sextile, semi-square, sesquiquadrate and quincunx.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin, literally five twelfths from quinque five + uncia twelfth.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.