One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A warm bed covering made of padding enclosed between layers of fabric and kept in place by lines of stitching, typically applied in a decorative design.
- ‘The two had their own rooms on a king-size bed that had a firm mattress but soft, fluffy pillows with a huge warm quilt and light sheets.’
- ‘She could feel the warm quilt wrapping her body, cushioning her bruises.’
- ‘Last Saturday's Airing of the Quilts at Northampton was a crafty affair, with 250 handmade quilts lining the main street.’
- ‘Father stirred fretfully, trying to throw off the heavy quilts.’
- ‘She buried herself even deeper in the warm quilts.’
- ‘A special thanks to Angie Hayes who came up with the idea and the design for the quilt, purchased the materials and made the templates.’
- ‘He had a quilt to keep him warm while he traveled and has a family waiting for him when he arrives at Walter Reed Army Medical center.’
- ‘Nothing I like more than being warm and cosy under a 2-layered 15 tog quilt.’
- ‘The next morning, she was fast asleep in her warm bed under an old quilt.’
- ‘Our room was waiting - window flung open onto a little garden, pink washed walls, faded quilts, towels smelling of fresh air.’
- ‘He slept on bracken, the only concession to comfort a down quilt and a patch of woollen red plaid, often seen wrapped around him as he went about his business.’
- ‘A homemade quilt is more than a covering to keep people warm; it is a form of folk art - part of our heritage recalling the ingenuity and creativity of our pioneers.’
- ‘I roll over, snuggling deeper into the warm quilts, hoping to slip back into sleep.’
- 1.1 A knitted or fabric bedspread with decorative stitching.
- ‘The quilt with the numerous calico prints provides more surface design than the quilts made from plaincolored fabrics.’
- ‘My grandma knitted me a quilt for a wedding present and we had had it for 15 years and it was on the back of the couch.’
- ‘She lay down on the only comfortable furniture provided: a cotton bedroll with a woolen quilt to keep her warm and feather-stuffed pillow for her head.’
- ‘Her interests were sewing, knitting, cooking, gardening, carding wool for quilts and making feather pillows.’
- ‘Shop your thrift stores for sheets, blankets, and quilts to use as tablecloths and window coverings.’
- ‘The hand knitted quilt was displayed at the guild's monthly meeting which took place in the Green School on Monday, April 10.’
- ‘Add red, green, or tartan wool throws or quilts to the sofa to snuggle under.’
- ‘Or, drape attractive throws or quilts on each chair for your guests to wrap around their shoulders to ward off the night air.’
- ‘Circus Bed Quilt was reproduced in the Ladies, Home Journal with instructions for reproducing the design as a cloth quilt.’
- ‘They showed a keen interest and curiosity in the ways that our national quilt was knitted.’
- 1.2 A layer of padding used for insulation.
- ‘The walls were hung with blankets and quilts for insulation, and it looked quite merry next to the somber dirt floor.’
Join together (layers of fabric or padding) with lines of stitching to form a bed covering, a warm garment, or for decorative effect.
- ‘Now, I knit only a bit and spend more time quilting, joining a guild a few years ago.’
- ‘Reupholstering an existing armchair and draping a round table with pale ivory quilted fabric adapted them to the updated color palette.’
- ‘Why would someone go to the trouble of quilting a piece already ‘quilted’?’
- ‘Occasionally, a stenciled bedcover was pieced with traditional quilt blocks but was not quilted.’
- ‘We quilted the covers with parallel lines of stitching, 2 1/2 inches apart; you can omit the quilting if you prefer.’
- ‘It features a 100% anti-pill polyester micro fleece upper lining and quilted nylon lower lining and sleeves.’
- ‘Part of the popularity of stripy quilts was due to the ease with which they could be planned and made - broad strips sewn together by machine then quilted with patterns that only had to fit into a strip width.’
- ‘There were also quilted and block-printed jackets on show.’
- ‘The fabric is quilted diagonally and is well suited to a barn jacket styling.’
- ‘These quilts, which had been pieced by Mama's mother, and then quilted by her and her sister, had been tucked away, put in reserve, and not because they were being temporarily stored for the summer.’
Middle English: from Old French cuilte, from Latin culcita ‘mattress, cushion’.
Punch (someone)‘more than one bloke I've seen Joe quilt good and proper’
Mid 19th century: perhaps a transferred use of the verb quilt (with the association of quilting for protection).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.