Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a device) designed for rapid release.‘a quick-release button’
- ‘If windows or doors in your home have security bars, make sure the bars have quick-release mechanisms so they can be opened easily in case of an emergency.’
- ‘Essential gear includes cross-country skis and a padded nylon waist belt (with quick-release clip) attached by a 12-foot tow-rope to a harness on the animal.’
- ‘A quick-release button detaches the panel from the stand.’
- ‘Mavic's new cycling computer has a wireless front wheel sensor built right into the front quick-release lever.’
- ‘They offer domestic combatants high-velocity airflow tools, motorised brushes, quick-release wands with telescopic reach, and removable tool holsters.’
- ‘And before you venture out ensure that all nuts and bolts are tight, especially the quick-release nuts (if you have them) on the wheels.’
- ‘The Duplex system consists of a prefilled PVC -, DEHP -, and latex-free IV bag containing the drug and diluent in different compartments that are separated by a quick-release seal.’
- ‘The large-diameter outer tube is marked with a limit line and has a quick-release clamp at the top.’
- ‘Clipping to the skier's belt with a quick-release coupler for a quick disconnection, most towlines feature a bungee-like shock cord at the skier's end to allow for smooth movement between the dog and skier.’
- ‘The test pilots found the double-slot flaps and quick-release engine cowlings most admirable but, oddly, armament was only briefly checked out and one of the things they did not like was the periscopic system for the twin turrets.’
- ‘There are positives to the new design - a quick-release facility and greater coverage to the front gates improve safety and discourage horses from ducking under - but problems persist.’
- ‘Use a gun with a thumb-controlled quick-release lever.’
- ‘There are roll bars all around, plus the window net quick-release lever.’
- ‘The external four-link connector is based on the same MicroGiga connector used by 4x Infiniband, but uses jackscrews instead of the quick-release latches that Infiniband cables use.’
- ‘The WES uses a quick-release lever that lets masons disengage the tarp from the platform if doing so prevents it from possibly tipping over due to high winds.’
- ‘Control Tech is making everything you can imagine out of carbon, including quick-release levers and seat binders.’
- ‘The Bogen / Manfrotto 3130 Micro Fluid Head is a lightweight fluid head with adjustable pan bar and quick-release camera plate.’
- ‘Remove the rear wheel: First, loosen the quick-release spindle.’
- ‘The clean design takes up minimal space, and the light is attached with an easy, secure quick-release mechanism that won't clutter your bike when you remove the light.’
- ‘The wheels are attached with a quick-release mechanism so taking the stroller completely down is a snap.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.