Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Rapid in movement or action.‘this camera should capture every detail of distant or quick-moving subjects’‘the stories are quick-moving and predictable’
nimble, lithe, spry, supple, limber, sprightly, acrobatic, dexterous, deft, willowy, graceful, light-footed, nimble-footed, light on one's feet, fleet-footedView synonyms
- ‘A quick-moving blaze erupted in the house.’
- ‘Without a doubt, the snap-jawed, quick-moving reptile is the creature tourists most want to see.’
- ‘Quick-moving little birds in a yellow-flowering shrub turned out to be Silver-eyes.’
- ‘Brace yourself for a slippery, sleeting, blustery mess tonight as a quick-moving nor'easter blows through the city.’
- ‘From the window of our guest bathroom, we wait for the elephants to emerge from the tunnel, surprisingly quick-moving, dolled up in their circus attire.’
- ‘CNN presents its "news" in styles and formats that approximate the variable, quick-moving nature of commercial television programming.’
- ‘The film is surprisingly spry and quick-moving for a documentary.’
- ‘As the Army transforms into a more mobile, quick-moving digital force, traditional officer career paths must change to meet these challenges.’
- ‘Firth was a man of driving energy, with a brilliant and very quick-moving mind.’
- ‘The quick-moving storm is adding to the record rainfall that hit Chicago yesterday.’
- ‘The book is both dauntingly far-reaching in scope and intensely personal: it moves from political theory to cultural analysis to diaristic history in around 350 quick-moving pages.’
- ‘This quick-moving narrow-bodied fish is most commonly orange or white with a red head.’
- ‘We got rained on briefly by a quick-moving squall.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.