Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Rapid in movement or action.‘this camera should capture every detail of distant or quick-moving subjects’‘the stories are quick-moving and predictable’
nimble, lithe, spry, supple, limber, sprightly, acrobatic, dexterous, deft, willowy, graceful, light-footed, nimble-footed, light on one's feet, fleet-footedView synonyms
- ‘The book is both dauntingly far-reaching in scope and intensely personal: it moves from political theory to cultural analysis to diaristic history in around 350 quick-moving pages.’
- ‘CNN presents its "news" in styles and formats that approximate the variable, quick-moving nature of commercial television programming.’
- ‘A quick-moving blaze erupted in the house.’
- ‘As the Army transforms into a more mobile, quick-moving digital force, traditional officer career paths must change to meet these challenges.’
- ‘This quick-moving narrow-bodied fish is most commonly orange or white with a red head.’
- ‘From the window of our guest bathroom, we wait for the elephants to emerge from the tunnel, surprisingly quick-moving, dolled up in their circus attire.’
- ‘The quick-moving storm is adding to the record rainfall that hit Chicago yesterday.’
- ‘We got rained on briefly by a quick-moving squall.’
- ‘Brace yourself for a slippery, sleeting, blustery mess tonight as a quick-moving nor'easter blows through the city.’
- ‘Firth was a man of driving energy, with a brilliant and very quick-moving mind.’
- ‘Without a doubt, the snap-jawed, quick-moving reptile is the creature tourists most want to see.’
- ‘The film is surprisingly spry and quick-moving for a documentary.’
- ‘Quick-moving little birds in a yellow-flowering shrub turned out to be Silver-eyes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.