One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A quantum of energy in a crystal lattice or other system of bodies which has momentum and position and can in some respects be regarded as a particle.
- ‘One point which Wen is particularly excited about is that fermions can appear as quasiparticles in local bosonic lattice systems.’
- ‘There are two types of quasiparticles, Bose and Fermi, and physicists around the globe are exploring the properties of each type.’
- ‘At this point we no longer discuss electrons but quasiparticles.’
- ‘The effective masses of the electrons are therefore increased - by a few percent in simple metals and by factors of up to 1000 in ‘heavy fermion ‘systems - but the quasiparticles still carry the same charge and spin as free electrons.’’
- ‘Remember that we also know that in many body systems there are quasiparticles which act very much like normal particles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.