Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Each of four equal groups into which a population can be divided according to the distribution of values of a particular variable.
- ‘Children in the upper quartile of the blood-lead-concentration distribution donated another blood sample in February 1993.’
- ‘The school is one of several elementary schools within a district that is in the bottom quartile when fourth grade standardized test scores and passage rates are compared throughout the state.’
- ‘The initial categories were created by stratifying lesions into quartiles according to size.’
- ‘White women were older, smoked more, and were less likely to have dietary calcium intakes in the lowest quartile of distribution than black and Hispanic women.’
- ‘The resulting distributions for men and women were divided into quartiles.’
- 1.1Each of the three values of the random variable that divide a population into four groups.
- ‘We calculate medians and quartiles of the age at leaving home by sex and race, using a fitted curve derived from a logit regression model.’
- ‘Here we would like to estimate the quartiles of the distribution of age at leaving home, within categories of covariates.’
- ‘Every measurement was first divided by its plate's quartile and then multiplied by the average quartile of the respective experiment.’
- ‘Simple quartiles cannot be defined in interval variables unless their boundaries chance to fall at interval boundaries.’
- ‘Disparities in college enrollment by family income quartiles are almost as large today as they were thirty years ago.’
Late 19th century: from medieval Latin quartilis, from Latin quartus fourth.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.