One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sum paid or received quarterly.
- ‘This lease not only provided Sidebottom with a quarterage on the amount of coal extracted, but also brought the considerable sum of a L50 yearly rent fee and other rents.’
- ‘The Schoolmaster receives no quarterage from the children of the tenants of Knockaloe.’
- ‘Before every quarterly conference the class leader visited each member, collected his quarterage, and issued to members of good standing tickets which allowed them to partake of communion.’
- ‘However, it is a matter of regret that 25 members have still not paid their quarterage which was due in October, a shortfall of over £4,300 in income.’
- ‘This percentage was the traditional ‘quarterage.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.