Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ramp with a slightly convex surface, used by skateboarders, rollerbladers, or snowboarders to perform jumps and other maneuvers.
- ‘Skateboarders flew down the ramp in semi-darkness, steering themselves along narrow ledges, curling up quarter pipes and flipping their boards as they sailed into center stage.’
- ‘Obstacles such as ladders, transitions, wall rides and quarter pipes were placed in an open area, with each rider given two minutes to display their skills on the course.’
- ‘It has a mini ramp, a half pipe, a bauer box, 3 quarter pipes, a few boxes, a wave ramp, a starting box, and a picnic table.’
- ‘There was also a chance for youngsters to compete on the park's features including a jump box, quarter pipe and ground rails.’
- ‘Beside the grind box, two lethal looking two-inch wide grind rails serve a similar purpose, while the six-foot-high quarter pipe in the corner keeps the skateboarders busy.’
- ‘Learn on a small mini-ramp or quarter pipe, and then you can go to larger ramps, and eventually vert.’
- ‘There is a plywood quarter pipe about eight feet high that helps get speed to hit the reservoir walls.’
- ‘The youth centre has bought four pieces of equipment, a quarter pipe, grind box, kicker ramp and street spin which can be set up and taken down when needed.’
- ‘Fully equipped with a launch ramp, flat bank, quarter pipe, table top middle, two table ends, a two-by-eight fun box and large and small rails, these movable recreation areas are suited for the beginner as well as the skilled.’
- ‘Fletcher heads up the quarter pipe, with his feet in position for a normal backside kickturn.’
- ‘Over a month ago, fierce winds roared through the North Bay, wreaking havoc on her garden, cleaving a tree in half and randomly rearranging some patio furniture, making projectiles out of one son's skateboarding quarter pipes.’
- ‘The youngsters can now make the most of their new £55,000 skate park, which includes a half pipe, two quarter pipes and a grind rail and which was officially opened in Crowgill Park, Crowgill Road, yesterday.’
- ‘It will include a three-metre straight grind roll, a six-metre stunt box, two 1.2-metre high quarter pipes, and an indestructible seat.’
- ‘For snow boarders there is a fun park on Kitzbuheler Horn with half pipes, quarter pipes, a sprint slalom and a table jump.’
- ‘At the demo spot, they had set up four quarter pipes in a row, like a snowboard park run.’
- ‘Dude, Kareem Campbell was skating and did a massive kickflip fakie on a quarter pipe.’
- ‘The park's facilities include such specialised features as a flatbank, a grind box, a quarter pipe and grinding rails.’
- ‘After playing hookey for a day, Kao began competing a year later in the half pipe and slopestyle, a competition which consists of table top jumps, spines, a series of rails and a quarter pipe.’
- ‘Equipment, including a launch, quarter pipe, spine and a grind box will be set up at St Paul's Church Hall car park from Monday until Thursday next week.’
- ‘There were no ramps, except for some quarter pipes for speed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.