One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Half a semitone.
- ‘While making a direct comparison, I discovered that the original UK vinyl edition must have been mastered at the wrong speed, since it plays a quarter-tone below the CD version.’
- ‘Downie's contribution is not all quarter-tones and ululations, though.’
- ‘Mirage was written in 1910, and inhabits - quarter-tones aside - the soundworld of Wagner, with a nod towards the tone poems of Richard Strauss.’
- ‘He would insert folk tunes into his exercises or submit pieces with free rhythms, quarter-tones and multilayered textures.’
- ‘The two instruments are tuned a quarter-tone apart, and it's incredible how soon the ear becomes accustomed to the strangeness of this tuning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.