One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Apply quantum theory to, especially form into quanta, in particular restrict the number of possible values of (a quantity) or states of (a system) so that certain variables can assume only certain discrete magnitudes.
- ‘Only now are we trying to quantize the theory to make it compatible with the other forces.’
- ‘In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized.’
- ‘Loop quantum gravity is a way to quantise space time while keeping what General Relativity taught us.’
- ‘The hydrogen atom was stable because the possible energy states of the electron in the atom are quantized by the rule’
- ‘The various modes of motion are quantized, meaning that only certain discrete energy states are possible.’
Approximate (a continuously varying signal) by one whose amplitude is restricted to a prescribed set of values.
- ‘They know quadraphonic, quantizing on the dimensional level of making the atmosphere and the soundwaves and frequencies coincide and exist along with the frequencies in the music.’
- ‘The coefficients of these block approximations are then quantized and stored in the output file.’
- ‘Fuzzy drum samples come clearly banged out on a sampler in lo-fi analog glee - no digital quantizing is stifling these joints.’
- ‘To ensure noise measurements on digital carriers (PCM systems) are valid, a holding tone must be transmitted to operate the compander and quantizing circuitry in its normal operating range.’
- ‘Truncating the embedded bitstream associated with any given code-block has the effect of quantizing the samples in that block more coarsely.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.