Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Apply quantum theory to, especially form into quanta, in particular restrict the number of possible values of (a quantity) or states of (a system) so that certain variables can assume only certain discrete magnitudes.
- ‘In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized.’
- ‘Only now are we trying to quantize the theory to make it compatible with the other forces.’
- ‘The hydrogen atom was stable because the possible energy states of the electron in the atom are quantized by the rule’
- ‘The various modes of motion are quantized, meaning that only certain discrete energy states are possible.’
- ‘Loop quantum gravity is a way to quantise space time while keeping what General Relativity taught us.’
Approximate (a continuously varying signal) by one whose amplitude is restricted to a prescribed set of values.
- ‘To ensure noise measurements on digital carriers (PCM systems) are valid, a holding tone must be transmitted to operate the compander and quantizing circuitry in its normal operating range.’
- ‘Fuzzy drum samples come clearly banged out on a sampler in lo-fi analog glee - no digital quantizing is stifling these joints.’
- ‘Truncating the embedded bitstream associated with any given code-block has the effect of quantizing the samples in that block more coarsely.’
- ‘They know quadraphonic, quantizing on the dimensional level of making the atmosphere and the soundwaves and frequencies coincide and exist along with the frequencies in the music.’
- ‘The coefficients of these block approximations are then quantized and stored in the output file.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.