Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Apply quantum theory to, especially form into quanta, in particular restrict the number of possible values of (a quantity) or states of (a system) so that certain variables can assume only certain discrete magnitudes.
- ‘The various modes of motion are quantized, meaning that only certain discrete energy states are possible.’
- ‘Only now are we trying to quantize the theory to make it compatible with the other forces.’
- ‘The hydrogen atom was stable because the possible energy states of the electron in the atom are quantized by the rule’
- ‘Loop quantum gravity is a way to quantise space time while keeping what General Relativity taught us.’
- ‘In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized.’
Approximate (a continuously varying signal) by one whose amplitude is restricted to a prescribed set of values.
- ‘Fuzzy drum samples come clearly banged out on a sampler in lo-fi analog glee - no digital quantizing is stifling these joints.’
- ‘To ensure noise measurements on digital carriers (PCM systems) are valid, a holding tone must be transmitted to operate the compander and quantizing circuitry in its normal operating range.’
- ‘The coefficients of these block approximations are then quantized and stored in the output file.’
- ‘Truncating the embedded bitstream associated with any given code-block has the effect of quantizing the samples in that block more coarsely.’
- ‘They know quadraphonic, quantizing on the dimensional level of making the atmosphere and the soundwaves and frequencies coincide and exist along with the frequencies in the music.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.